Friday, November 6, 2015

Off Grid Rental Questions OffGrid

I just found this Sub so thought you guys might have some insight.

Ten years ago I built a conventional 3 bedroom, 1 bath, 960 sqft stick framed house, (2x6 walls as well as 2" of panel foam insulation on the exterior walls. So, it is super insulated). I installed 3,000 watts of Siemens Panels, two 4,000 watt trace inverters, Outback Charge Controllers, and a large forklift battery. I have a 15KW Generac Propane standby generator and 400 gallon propane tank. (I hardly ever have to use the generator). Wood stove for heat. A small window unit air conditioner for when it gets over 100 deg F. Modern Propane Stove/oven and a propane Bosch on demand water heater. Modern clothes washer and propane cloths drier. I never bothered to get a refrigerator. I usually keep things in a ice chest cooler and shop for items daily.

I don't have a TV. I usually wake up eat and leave the house. I don't come back till I am ready to eat, shower and sleep. I watch a little Netflix and fall asleep.

I have been living comfortably in the house by myself for the past 10 years but am thinking of renting the place out. So, here are my questions:

Refrigerator: Propane or something else that is supper efficient as far as electricity?

Heat: Keep the wood stove for the rental aspect or install a propane wall heater?

Get rid of the Window unit air conditioner and install and modern unit?

Is 3,000 watts enough for a 960 sqft house or should I put in another 1-2,000 watts

What is an appropriate size propane generator?

The Trace inverter will remotely start the generator when the batteries get to a set voltage but I have not set that up.

And I will probably not be around much so, do I need to setup a maintenance contract with a third party to handle any problems with the system?

That is about it. Any tips or pointers for renting out an off grid home would be appreciated.

Thanks



Submitted November 06, 2015 at 08:16PM by troller10 http://ift.tt/1Nh7dkC OffGrid

No comments:

Post a Comment