Monday, November 30, 2015

[US - IL] College student here wondering about his rights as a resident in University housing legaladvice

We're leaving for winter break soon and a high-ranking official on our residential housing board sent out an email describing policies once the residents left housing for break. The following was included in the email:
"RA staff will be checking ALL student rooms to ensure that the checklist items are completed and everything is secure for break. [Redacted city] will also be performing health and safety inspections in rooms over break. If a staff member notes anything that is not completed or against policy (i.e.: fire hazards, bicycles stored in rooms, alcohol- if residents are under 21), the RA will document the violation and you will be handled through the student conduct process."

The checklist referred to includes things like closed windows, defrosted refrigerators, etc.

Our student handbook states that dorms will only be "reasonably searched" in certain suspicion of rule violations. I'd rather not have my privacy intruded upon in my dorm room while I'm gone, and because I'm gone, I cannot consent to a search. Is there anything I can do to prevent such a search of my dorm room?



Submitted November 30, 2015 at 10:50PM by EssayHelpMe1 http://ift.tt/1QPSSSL legaladvice

No comments:

Post a Comment