Friday, November 27, 2015

How did I mess up the turkey? AskCulinary

Turkey was 20lbs, purchased on Sunday and put directly in the refrigerator, so it had 4 days to thaw.

Oven was set to 425 and then lowered to 325 immediately after putting the turkey in.

I initially had the probe thermometer in the thigh and set to 165, and it beeped after only 2.5 hours, which didn't seem right.

After consulting google and my cookbook, I realized the probe should have been in the breast, so I moved it and put it back in, and it beeped about 1.5 hours later.

After resting 30-40 minutes on a platter, the juice that had come out was pink. The breast was cooked, but when I cut one of the thighs off, it was definitely not fully cooked. I put the thighs and legs back in the oven by themselves for another 30 minutes, so I guess it wasn't a total waste, but I felt pretty humiliated.

What did I do wrong? The only theory I have is that it was still partially frozen on the bottom when it went into the oven.

tl;dr - Thermometer said turky should have been done, but it wasn't.



Submitted November 28, 2015 at 12:20AM by plindb1 http://ift.tt/1Nd21Or AskCulinary

No comments:

Post a Comment