Monday, November 30, 2015

[UPDATE] [TX] Live/work in shelter. Coworker has dangerously unsafe food handling habits. Mgmt. aware, but dragging feet. Constructive dismissal? legaladvice

Previous post

I'm pulling the trigger. I'm pretty sure I'm going to get fired and end up on the street - but even if they don't fire me (which would be smart on their part), I'll probably quit anyway and try filing for what little unemployment I could qualify for under constructive dismissal (BTW, nobody really answered about the chances on that in my last post, hehe), but hey, maybe I'll finally see some action taken.

Here's the complaint email sent to the local Health Department.

Please be advised that there are numerous apparent health code violations in the [major charitable organization's] kitchen and shelter facilities. Also please be advised that I am an employee of the facility and have heavily documented said apparent violations. The following links are only a sample of these apparent violations over the past year. I suggest viewing them with a computer instead of a cell phone, as there are descriptions attached to most of these photos that may not show up on mobile. Food Handling http://ift.tt/1Ijpim1 Kitchen http://ift.tt/1TfVAyK Bedbugs http://ift.tt/1IjpfGS The kitchen is particularly troubling as many of the above-linked conditions (and others not shown) were readily apparent during your last inspection, yet we were only cited for relatively minor violations: needing towel/soap dispensers, new food thermometers, scoops to replace measuring cups for dispensing dry goods, and an out-of-code jar of peanut butter. Ignored were: many mouse droppings, large visible mouse nest, dead mouse under refrigerator, old grease buildup on many surfaces, undefrosted freezers, unlabeled foods, no first-aid kit, and much more. Some of these conditions were addressed proactively, but many of them have returned. with other issues never addressed. I'm afraid the [organization] is taking advantage of your department's probable reluctance to enforce the Code as strictly as you should (presumably to avoid shutting down the kitchen), but there are alternate places the clients can eat during the week. The bedbug pictures linked above only touch on one room - they have risen to the level of infestation in the common dorm. Unfortunately, due to management inaction and your department's apparent unwillingness to force this facility to follow the law, and particularly because the homeless tend to be comprised of a much larger than normal group of immune-compromised individuals (drug users/elderly) and hence at a higher risk of infections/poisoning than the general populace, I feel forced to publicize these photos and videos through all local media and social media at a soon-to-be-determined date if I do not see a rapid and full reaction. I have been trying to get these conditions addressed for nearly a year now, and I believe it's up to your department to force the [organization] into action, rather than them worrying about a new shelter that's two years away from being built or that the retail store is getting a cosmetic facelift. The homeless are people, too, and while yes, they are grateful for what they receive, they should not be at a constant elevated risk of food poisoning and/or side effects of multiple bedbug bites. I believe this strongly enough to not report this anonymously, running the risk of being fired and becoming homeless myself (I work and live here), not to mention probably becoming unemployable in the area for whistleblowing on a normally well-respected charity organization. I am notifying the shelter's commander of this email as soon as I see him today. If you have questions, please email me at [blahblah] or call me at [yadayada] Thank You, 

[my real name]



Submitted November 30, 2015 at 04:38PM by Charitable-Thoughts http://ift.tt/1OpPVXH legaladvice

No comments:

Post a Comment