Friday, June 23, 2017

NY rental apartment- security deposit not fully refunded due to "cleaning fee" legaladvice

I moved out of a tiny 1 bedroom apartment last month in Rochester NY. When I moved out, the apartment was cleaned by me. I just received a letter from my landlord saying she deducted $150 for cleaning fees because the apartment was not in move-in condition. She claimed the following was not cleaned- kitchen cupboards stove refrigerator sink bathroom ceiling fans

I'm not a slob, I kept my apartment clean while I lived there, and when I moved out nothing was left behind. I vacuumed and wiped all surfaces, shower, sinks, etc. I don't understand how this required $150 in cleaning fees-even if it wasn't to her standard.

I just read this and on page 9 it says:

A landlord may use the security deposit as a reimbursement for any unpaid rent, or the reasonable cost of repairs beyond normal wear and tear, if the tenant damages the apartment. He or she must return the security deposit, less any lawful deduction, to the tenant at the end of the lease or within reasonable time thereafter, whether or not the tenant asks for its return. To avoid any disputes, the tenant should thoroughly inspect the apartment with the landlord before moving in and document any preexisting conditions. Upon vacating, the tenant should leave the apartment in clean condition, removing all personal belongings and trash from the apartment, and making any minor repairs needed.

Am i interpreting that correctly in that that cannot charge me for this cleaning fee. It was normal wear and tear at the most-and again, I did clean the place. How do I go about getting the rest of my security deposit back.



Submitted June 24, 2017 at 02:21AM by flowering101 http://ift.tt/2t0J96f legaladvice

No comments:

Post a Comment