Sunday, January 7, 2018

Having issues Sourdough

Hello all.

I am a fairly new baker that is trying to get into sourdough and failing miserably. My starter (1:1 water and whole wheat flour) appears to be alive and it passes the float test before I mix it into the bread. The dough I make just kind of sits around as a puddle of mush, never really turning into a proper dough.

Recipe (I have a scale on the way, bear with me on the cups):

  • 1 cup starter

  • 2 cups water

  • 3 cups flour (1 cup whole grain rye, 2 cups whole wheat, all Bob's Red Mill)

  • 1 rounded TSP salt

I mix these all together and let them rest at room temperature for about 30 minutes, then I do a stretch and fold and place them in the refrigerator and do a stretch and fold every 30-45 minutes for a couple hours. I let this sit overnight. This is where it seems to fall apart. I try to pull the dough out of the fridge and shape it into a ball (boule?), but it turns into mush during this process.

After all this, the bread itself doesn't have a hint of sourdough flavor and ends up as a flat pancake of super dense bread.

Where am I going wrong with this? I'd appreciate any help you can give me.



Submitted January 07, 2018 at 11:54PM by DarthGuy101 http://ift.tt/2Ekwf5p Sourdough

No comments:

Post a Comment