Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Black hole = magic refrigerator? askscience

Assume I have a large black hole.

And that I have an environment that is extremely hot due to photons flying everywhere.

Let's say I build a giant machine to transfer those photons into the black hole. Not just in the immediate vicinity, but across a vast area.

My question is, is there any limit to how large a machine the hole would be able to cool off by having the material transfer heat into it via radiators or similar. Like, if I built a machine much larger than the actual event horizon that is meant to pass heat into the hole, is there any reason in particular I can't cool the entire machine to the temperature of the hole? Like can I essentially use it as an unlimited thermal wastebin that gets colder and bigger the more heat I throw in it?



Submitted March 15, 2017 at 06:23AM by pds314 http://ift.tt/2mIiC8C askscience

No comments:

Post a Comment