Friday, March 24, 2017

Delivery Between 1 and "A Lil After 1" TalesFromRetail

I work at a family owned, regional electronics and appliance store. I'm in sales, so I have a plethora of ridiculous customers acting a fool. This one concerns delivery, which as many salespeople know, is among the worst parts of the job because you have literally no control over it, yet you field the majority of anger because the delivery gets fucked up. This is at least a weekly occurrence but normally its resolved quickly and everyone is happy.

Our delivery system is simple, yet aggravating. You get two windows, either BEFORE 1 PM (8-1) or AFTER 1 PM (1-8). The reason for this is that we install most of our appliances with the delivery and we don't know how long it will take. We can't schedule someone for 3:15 because we don't know how long the person before will take (for example a refrigerator takes longer to install than say a chest freezer).

The customer in question was scheduled for an AFTER 1 PM delivery. Sale was simple, she was cordial, everything went well. Until I received a call at approximately 1:15 PM. Me= me, CL= crazy lady.

ME: (Store Name) NYCub717 speaking how may I help you?

CL: I had a truck coming to set up my stove and it ain't here yet.

ME: I'm sorry ma'am, let me have your phone number and we can see when you're scheduled and clarify it.

My assumption was this was a morning delivery and the drivers were running late and I'd apologize and say they'd be there soon. However, I see this was scheduled for an afternoon delivery and I begin to cringe.

ME: Ma'am it looks like this was scheduled to be an afternoon delivery, they should be there between 1 and 8 this evening.

CL: Nah, that's not what ya'll told me.

ME: (Knowing I didn't give a time) Well what did the salesperson tell you who sold you this?

CL: He told me between 1 and a lil after one.

(MY MIND EXPLODES AND I WANT TO YELL)

ME: Well ma'am, I'm sorry for the confusion but when we set up delivery we only give two windows, before 1pm and after 1pm.

CL: Lemme speak to da manager, dis is ridiculous, he told me between 1 and a lil afta 1

(I WANT TO TAKE MY EYE OUT WITH A RUSTY SPOON)

MANAGER: (Goes through whole thing with her again)

CL: HE TOLD ME BETWEEN ONE AND A LIL AFTER ONE

MANAGER: Well, I guess NYCub717 lied to you. Do you want me to write him up and discipline him?

CL: Well yes, he did lie to me. So write him up and do what you have to do.

MANAGER: I will ma'am. Have a nice day. Your delivery will be there in the next few hours.

Manager and I laugh about the insanity. I don't get in trouble because no sane person would say "between 1 and a little after 1".



Submitted March 25, 2017 at 12:44AM by nycub717 http://ift.tt/2nl1ckC TalesFromRetail

No comments:

Post a Comment