Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Newb alert... Infuser getting into mead... Have some basic questions mead

Sigh.... I hate to make one of these posts since I just found this subreddit, and havent had ample time to peruse the posts. I've dabbled in some moderately-challenging beer home brews and some whiskey infusions that turned out amazing. Ashamedly, I'm a quasi-regular to Texas RenFaire, but dont have any friends with mead experience. The wife and I love a treat, so we thought about getting into homebrew mead. Without making a drawn-out post, here we go...

1) We have ample sources of local honey. Anything in particular I should look at or shy away from?

2) Water... Is something like Ozarka good to go, or should I use my home RO filter?

3) Spices.... I admit I do like subtle vanilla and cinnamon flavors in mead I've had before but I'm sure whiskey is a completely different animal as far as how to approach it. Are there any good guidelines (dare I say recipes?) that would help guide me along and not ruin a batch?

4) Supplies... I've seen everything from bucket mead/loki to full blown fermentation setups on par with breweries. I'm not making a crazy beglian IPA with yeast that can move a refrigerator, so some help pointing me in the right direction for 1-3gal per batches. Are standard small blow-offs kosher for something like this, or is a something like a separate vessel and a blowoff/blowdown tube necessary to prevent a mess?

5) Cleaning.... I've used alcohol/water/soap mixes, bleach/water mixes, etc in spray bottles for sanitation. Its a basic concept for sure, but I'm open to suggestions from those that know much more than I.

6) "Brew" methods. Seems that I've seen more "tea bag" spices for mead to add after the fact, as desired, vs. crazy spiced or wild concoctions sold in stores. I assume this may be more of a personal taste thing, but is adding flavors to the base more of a post-process or are there more carefully-calculated steps similar to beer (Ie: boil/mash/ferment/etc)

Even if there's a wiki I overlooked I appreciate any and all help. Looking forward to making some killer summer drinks for friends and coworkers



Submitted March 23, 2017 at 03:34AM by pr3ttyh8tmachine http://ift.tt/2n8QDzo mead

No comments:

Post a Comment