Friday, September 9, 2016

TIFU by trusting my mother on how to cook a potato tifu

This happened some time back.

As a very broke, commuter university student, I try to take lunches to school. Which usually consists of raiding my refrigerator for any kind of leftovers, fruits, veggies, and snacks 10 minutes before I have to leave. I am not very good a planning lunches ahead of time.

Well, on this particular day, I was running late to school so I quickly packed a PB&J sandwich, a pear, and apple, and some left over salad. I also saw that we had some potatoes lying around. (So let me back up for a bit. I’m not sure if this is a Mexican thing to do, but when my mother or grandmother make baked potatoes, they put them in a plastic bag (and I mean strait up Walmart plastic bag), tie the bag, place it in the microwave and nuke those babies to perfect baked potatoes.) I picked a smallish, not too big potato and planned to make the potato as my foremothers before me.

My days usually start at 5:30 am and being the little piglet that I am, I finished all my food by the time lunchtime rolled around, except the potato. I was also starving and I needed something in my system before I had to go to work. The potato was my last hope in light of having to buy overpriced food from my university. I went to a tutoring center where I used to work at, where they would let me use their microwave. I messaged my mother on how to make the potato, because I could not remember and the microwave did not have a baked potato button. She told me to push the popcorn button and the time would be sufficient. The happy starving me proceeded to place my potato in the microwave and followed her instruction. I left the microwave to nuke my potato and I chatted with my old co-workers.

The microwave beeped, I galloped to my potato. Instead of a steaming and delicious baked potato, I was met with a shriveled, burnt, scalding, hard rock. My own mother deceived me. Apparently, the microwave at my old job is much more powerful than the crappy one I have at home.

My mother was not impressed when I told her I ended up buying overpriced crappy burritos.

Not a crazy TIFU, but I was really looking forward to that potato.

TLDR: I was being a cheap college student and resorted to making a baked potato in the microwave with the guidance of my mother. I was deceived and nuked that potato to a stone. Had to buy overpriced burritos.



Submitted September 10, 2016 at 01:15AM by BulletProofGlasses http://ift.tt/2bYmLOR tifu

No comments:

Post a Comment