Friday, September 30, 2016

5 months into my lease, 6 fumigation attempts for cockroaches and the problem is no better. Can I withhold rent? What are my options? legaladvice

5 months ago I moved into a new apartment in Los Angeles. A couple days after move-in I noticed there were cockroaches hiding everywhere (didn't notice them at first as I visited in the daytime and they were nowhere to be found). But, this is SoCal, cockroaches aren't uncommon. I notified management and they came out and sprayed two days later. Flash forward to now. If I were independently wealthy, or had good credit, I'd have already moved. I scrub twice a week and keep a very clean apartment. I've come out of my bedroom at 2 am, flipped on the lights and seen some nightmare quality scenes of cockroaches scattering. Just last week I discovered nests in the legs on my furniture. (I know, how couldn't I know they were there... I didnt.) They are in my dishwasher and refrigerator. This isn't just a few roaches in the kitchen. This is waking up with them in my bed. Call management, spray, etc. I can't seem to get through to the landlord that the spray isn't killing them and that the infestation is far worse than they know. As of the end of September I contacted the health department and they inspected today, much to the dislike of my landlord and building management. My landlord, we'll call her "Judith" said I am becoming a problem tenant, offered me my deposit back and told me to move. EASIER SAID THAN DONE. I have typed a letter up to withhold rent and having trouble with the idea of paying rent in good conscience.

I realize the standard response is just "MOVE!" but it's really not so simple for me.

Can I legally withhold rent? What can I do here?



Submitted October 01, 2016 at 06:00AM by MyNameIsScott http://ift.tt/2cHgmgk legaladvice

No comments:

Post a Comment