Friday, September 30, 2016

How to fix a well that's run dry nosleep

A couple days ago, my well ran dry. It's been a fairly dry up here in upstate New York, but I didn't realize just how dry it had been I guess. We had rain showers here and there, but the ground definitely wasn't as wet as it had been in previous years.

At first, I was in denial about it having run dry. I swore up and down the pump must have failed, so I've spent the better part of two days trying to figure out what's gone wrong.

Unfortunately, a lot of my plumbing, and more importantly my well, is only accessible from inside a fairly cramped, dark, smelly, wet crawlspace. I think that’s where my problem came from. I've been leaving the trap door open since I've been up and down so much, but im starting to think that was a big mistake.

The weird stuff started last night. There was some noise coming from the crawl space. I don’t want to call it a whisper, but it was kind of like that. Ok not day what else to call it. It wasn't any language that I could figure, it was just kind of... Raspy noises like you might hear from a blocked air vent, but don't have forced air heat. It seemed to move around, too, coming from various sides of the trap door at any given point.

I couldn’t see anything, so I just chalked it up to air in the pipes. This morning, when I went back down in, there weren't any tracks, and there was nothing to be seen with my flashlight. So I kept working.

My neighbors about an eighth of a mile down the lane have been nice enough to let me come use their bathroom, and the old lady of the couple invited me to dinner tonight, so I called it quitting time fairly early to go get cleaned up. Again, I left the crawl space open, and this time the well head too, since I wasn’t done down there.

After dinner, when I came back, I noticed the breaker panel in the mud room had been tampered with…. The wires for the well, water heater, and everything else in the crawl space had been torn out rather violently… the wires seemed partly cut, with pigtails still connected to the breaker… but no cutters did this. The jackets to the wires were shredded.

Now, this might be alarming to most people, but I've been living in the woods for a while now, and I've seen animals do dumb stuff like this before. I flipped the breakers off, so that the pieces of wire left wouldn’t short out and cause any fires, and came upstairs to get ready for bed.

That was about at 9 o'clock. Since then, the whispering has resumed. Worse, what ever is down there has ripped out a few more circuits, leaving my first floor pitch black. The lights upstairs are flickering, and the whispering is getting louder. My cat went to investigate around 11, when we heard some footsteps… he hasn’t come back.

Guys its 2:30am, and I'm trapped up here. I've got about four hours until sunrise, all my tools are downstairs in the dark. I don’t know what to do, the whispering is getting louder, and the lights are flickering more frequently. I think it's laughing at me. A few minutes ago, there was a loud crash downstairs, it must have knocked over the refrigerator. I've got no way out, and no where to hide. Im too afraid to sleep, and I've got nothing to defend myself with. My phone's at 12 percent.

Shit, the lights up here just went out..

Wish me luck.



Submitted September 30, 2016 at 12:02PM by cantsleepitsinhere http://ift.tt/2drJKTI nosleep

No comments:

Post a Comment