Saturday, September 10, 2016

Service staff - How many roles are you expected to fill? KitchenConfidential

Hey guys, I recently got a job at a small family-owned restaurant. I signed on expecting to work as a kitchen hand or occasional waiter, as was advertised, but I'm finding that I'm expected to fill a dozen different roles at the same time.

I'm just wondering if this applies to others working at small restaurants, are you expected to do a lot of different tasks?

And I mean a LOT, the average night has me:

  • Greeting and seating guests

  • Taking orders and serving food

  • Clearing/cleaning tables

  • Managing the till, doing all payments etc

  • Washing all of the dishes, both during service to make sure we dont run out of tableware, and everything from that night after service

  • Cleaning the front of house and doing menial tasks like filling water bottles and stocking refrigerators constantly between serving customers

  • Cleaning the store room and freezers every few days (during service - I have to run into the back and clean between serving groups of people)

And the countless other little things which I'm sure anyone who works front of house.

90% of the time I'm expected to do this by myself, with the only other staff being the chef and his assistant in the kitchen. On some friday and saturday nights, someone else comes in to help me manage the front.

But usually, working by myself, I just don't have the time to get everything done and we fall behind; especially when two or more big tables come in at the same time. It's not like I work slowly or anything, I'm basically running around constantly and feel extremely worn out by the end of the day at 9pm, everyday,

I wouldn't mind as much if I had time during off-peak hours to get work done, but as I'm a casual, I get sent home at 3pm after lunch and come back at 6pm, as the dinner rush begins. So I'm only ever there during peak hours.

Is this level of workload typical? Am I just inexperienced?



Submitted September 11, 2016 at 09:54AM by nibbler97 http://ift.tt/2clo7Up KitchenConfidential

No comments:

Post a Comment