but I did. I feel like it was a base reward I got it for selling the minimal amount of fund-raiser stuff for school or something. I was probably a pre-teen, but barely if. I remember hacky-sack had just become a household word, but I wouldn't call it "popular" and frankly I could give a shit about it. But I had one, and it was rainbow-colored.
So I'm in the kitchen with this rainbow-colored hackey sack in my hand and I'm walking towards the upstairs tv room and was about to traverse the threshold when I dropped it and it hit my foot and seemed to roll a bit, but kind of just... wasn't there... even as I was looking down and immediately stooping to pick it up. But in my mind the only rational explanation was that it had rolled left of the waist-high kitchen trashcan situated near the corner and out of my immediate line of sight even though that was weird as it was a loose bag of beans (or whatever is inside a hacky-sack) and was able to do more than just form a stitched blob on the floor near my toes. I figured that maybe the force of the fall was not dissimilar from the upward force of a foot tap and was enough to move it a bit away. So, still bent over I walked forward a step to see to the left of the trashcan.
The actions of dropping, stooping, and stepping didn't take more than 3 seconds. It was a quick, "Oops, shit" to a mildy disorienting "Where the fuck?" to "Oh. it must be... nope."
So I was confused. My understanding of physics was that the general direction it WOULD have gone (if it had the momentum to move in that direction which it clearly did because it wasn't there at my foot where I thought I would find it) would have placed it to the left of the trashcan and it wasn't.
So a rapid survey spots a little space between the trashcan and the wall. It would have required a banana motion to get there and the space looked barely big enough to hide the rainbow-colored hackey sack but I know sometimes weird shit happens. I stand up and slide the waist-high,kitchen-trashcan away from the wall and lean over it. (Another 2 seconds max which puts my total at around 5 seconds and that's on the high side). Not there. So I pick up the waist-high, kitchen-trashcan and look under it because even though it was impossible to be under the trashcan I needed to check and it only took a second to lift it up. Nothing
So I look in the next room, which would have been an absurd distance and strange,but not impossible, angle to roll, Given the placement of the sliding/folding door between rooms there would have been a relatively narrow area to inspect and glancing into the next room is quick. Not there, either. So I pick up the waist-high, kitchen-trashcan out of the corner to make sure that the rainbow-colored hacky sack didn't somehow find its way to blind spots every time I moved the trashcan (which I knew was unlikely but had to check) and it wasn't there. But now the corner was bare and that was no longer an option for searching. I stand there a bit and second guess the direction I thought I saw the rainbow-colored hacky sack roll/disappear and try to find the next most reasonable answer. So aside from the removed trashcan, and the shitty sliding/folding door we had that separated the rooms there were only two pieces of furniture that were close enough to have possibly concealed it. One of those was a refrigerator that had no clearance beneath it or behind it and the other was a nice hutch of my mothers that had more than enough clearance. That was my only other option.
It was daytime and the lights were on. Between the light from outside and the lights on the ceiling fan the kitchen was more than adequately lit. You could see under the hutch, it was dark, but not like pitch black. I didn't see anything and this perturbed me enough to go get a flashlight. I went under the hutch with a flashlight and I reached under the hutch feeling in all corners and effectively cleaning the floor with my arm.
It was gone... like vanished. Now... I'd run out of feasible, improbable, and perceivable impossible possibilities. I'm losing my cool over this rainbow-colored hacky sack. I get my Mom and I'm explaining to her that this doesn't make sense. I don't know what I expected her to do. It's a hacky sack and if prior to its disappearance I wasn't that interested in the hacky sack then mom Mom wasn't going to be at all interested. She never said she didn't believe me but asked me what I want her to do about it... I didn't, but man I needed something grounding. So after an intense search of what amounts to about 6'xx6' section I realized that I had spent too much time looking for this thing I didn't really care about, accepted that I just wasn't going to find the answer to it's whereabouts, told my mom we had "gremlins," then I went and played Final Fantasy VI or something.
I realize this story is mundane compared to a lot of the stories I read on here but I occasionally think about that rainbow-colored hacky sack and wonder what the hell happened.
Submitted September 12, 2016 at 07:44PM by Trainasauruswrecks http://ift.tt/2cq6ndM Glitch_in_the_Matrix
No comments:
Post a Comment