Saturday, March 18, 2017

New icemaker - works in "test mode", but during regular operation appliancerepair

EDIT: Title should read not during regular operation

My Amana refrigerator was "ice-maker ready", but did not have one installed. So I ordered this Amana IC11b (Amazon link) kit which included everything. Got it all hooked up and ... nothing happened.

I tried to "prime it" by pouring 4 oz of water in it. Water froze into ice cubes, ice maker ejected them out - but didn't refill.

I found this service manual and tried the test procedure of shorting test points T & H - and that worked! If I left the jumper wire in T&H for the whole cycle, I could feel the heater heat up, and it opened the water valve & filled with water.

But I take the jumper out (at the beginning of the cycle), then it doesn't heat up, and it doesn't open the water valve to refill.

It's been a week - I hear the ice-maker cycling periodically, I've observed the wheel & ejector spinning, but it's not heating up and not refilling.

I took the ice-marker apart today and verified the bi-metal thermostat is open (no continuity) when it warms up, and is closed (zero resistance) when it's cold enough - so the thermostat seems to be working.

When I had it torn apart, nothing looked obviously broken or out of place.

I could just order another ice-maker body, but this one looks new (has a mfgr date of late 2016) and I don't want to waste another $40 if there's just something I can adjust or troubleshoot with this one.

Anyone have thoughts???



Submitted March 18, 2017 at 09:56PM by sir-draknor http://ift.tt/2mUCRQt appliancerepair

No comments:

Post a Comment