Wednesday, November 11, 2015

This year's Thanksgiving turkey was (by others) bought fresh today and shoved in the freezer. Will we be okay to thaw it as normal or should it be kept in the fridge instead? AskCulinary

Synopsis: I talked through turkey selection with my Sister-In-Law, who's hosting (but not cooking) Thanksgiving dinner this year. It's complicated.

I made recommendations based on some Cook's Illustrated standards, and to my surprise this morning she bought a Kosher turkey 12.7 lbs and not frozen, with a "Sell by 12/15" sticker on it. I had thought she was just price scouting, and would possibly reserve it to be picked up closer to the holiday.

I asked her if maybe she could call the Whole Foods she got it at and ask them if it's okay to be kept refrigerated, or possibly return it and buy something closer to the date. Instead she just replied, "I already put it in the freezer it's fine that is how my day is going to go"

As I said, it's complicated. Will we be alright? I know that buying frozen turkeys is an okay thing because they've been "Flash Frozen", which is a much quicker process than anything the freezer in a home refrigerator can do.



Submitted November 11, 2015 at 11:42PM by wharpua http://ift.tt/1HAEfj8 AskCulinary

No comments:

Post a Comment