Thursday, September 1, 2016

Use the Outlook Calendar to find a date in the future lifehacks

I've been in IT Support for 19 years, and am surprised at how many people don't know that the Outlook calendar - the desktop app, not the outlook.com website - supports date shortcuts, and you can easily use that to find a date in the future.

Say you're working on a project and need to know what the date will be 73 days from now. Open a new Outlook appointment and type 73d into the "End Time" box, and Outlook will automagically figure out when that is. Outlook also supports y for years, m for months and w for weeks.

You can also change the "Start Time" to calculate a date in the past (or the future). I used this last night: I quit smoking on 01/24/2014, and was curious as to when my 1,000th smoke-free day would happen. It took 5 seconds in Outlook to figure out it'll be on 10/20/2016.

Of course, you can use the date shortcuts to just add stuff to your calendar, too. I have a variety of household tasks on my Outlook calendar - "change AC filter", "replace electric toothbrush head", "vacuum the cat hair out of the refrigerator coils" - and I set all of them up using shortcuts like 60d or 3m or 6w.



Submitted September 01, 2016 at 12:45PM by tunaman808 http://ift.tt/2bUiu2C lifehacks

No comments:

Post a Comment