Thursday, September 1, 2016

I made a chart for beer cooler sous vide to adjust for more accurate temperatures. sousvide

Here it is

I like to make sous vide eggs but I don't have a real sous vide cooker. So instead I use a small beer cooler. Because eggs are finicky and I wanted more accurate temperatures I made this chart.

It's pretty simple, you take your desired cooking temperature and volume of sous vide water bath and find the temperature adjustment you need to make per each egg.

For example: 2 eggs @ 160 deg F in 6 cups water = 5 deg F per egg So put those two eggs in 6 cups of 170 deg F water and if it's a reasonable insulated cooler, the water temperature after about an hours cooking time should be 160 degrees which is what you wanted.

You can use it for more than eggs. In the calculations I assumed 1 egg = 1/4 cup water, which is a pretty decent assumption and will work for most other foods like lean meats. However, the more fat a food contains the less adjustment will be needed.
1 egg = 1/4 cup water = 60 grams meat/other = 2 oz meat/other

The formula is real basic (q = mcspdelta T) and assumes that there is no heat loss to the outside. And that the food is coming straight out of the refrigerator. So as long as you have a well insulated container like a cooler it should be ok. If you use it for longer (several hours or more cooking times, I'd add 1 degree per hour to help offset cooling effects.

I have the original spreadsheet if anyone wants it.



Submitted September 01, 2016 at 11:47AM by neuroknot http://ift.tt/2cekUqZ sousvide

No comments:

Post a Comment