Friday, September 2, 2016

Let's talk equipment Homebrewing

While researching options to upgrade equipment let's just say there is no one size fits all solution. I'm curious what your thoughts are on equipment out there today. Any preferred manufacturers? What size kettles are you using now, or what is your goal for the amount you brew? Anything you wish companies were doing but aren't?

For me, I'd really like to see companies create a home brewing “brewhouse” that was prebuilt. Plumbing, pumps, chiller, etc. Below is a picture of AlphaBrew's 1BBL system that would be an amazing end goal. But I don't think it's in the price range of most home brewers. You'd have to decide between this or a new car. So I wonder if this type of design could be done not only cheaper but for the 5 gallon – 1bbl sizes as well. 1bbl setup

I'm looking at Spike brewing right now for the boil kettle, and possibly SS Brewtech for their mash tun (if they are going to offer it in a bigger size). I'm using a cooler mash tun now and it doesn't seem to hold heat at a steady temp. So I want to move to a mash tun that can be heated a bit to hold the right temperature instead of trying to add more hot water. I think this where the brewhouse would come in handy so that temperature control could be integrated into the setup.

Fermentation and temperature control seem to be another area where there are some options but seem like companies could definitely make some improvements. I really like what MoreBeer is doing with their conical setups Temp controlled fermenter. I like the fact you don't need a refrigerator dedicated to fermentation and you don't have to build some sort of chamber. SS Brewtech seems to be ok, I just don't like having to keep the separate cold/warm water source.

So what are your thoughts?



Submitted September 02, 2016 at 11:55PM by grnstreak http://ift.tt/2bKRSAG Homebrewing

No comments:

Post a Comment