Tuesday, July 5, 2016

My landlord is charging large amounts for cleaning fees to places which were clean upon move out. What are the rules on deducting from my security deposit (in New York State), and can I refute these charges without any move in/move out pictures? personalfinance

Hi!

I just got the itemization of the security deposit for an apartment I rented over the past school year. On move in, my room was dirty, there were clothes inside the drawers and nasty pillows and sheets in my closet. Now on move out I'm being charged for not having the apartment clean. The invoice is basically as follows, with unsubstantiated fees bolded. I want to know if these fees can be considered excessive, and where the burden of proof for these charges lies. In other words, do I have to prove that these charges are phony, or does she have to prove that they are real? Does the landlord need to send me a receipt for the charges, or is the itemization enough?

Bedroom clean up (remove misc debris: Clean baseboards, vacuum, mop $10

Clean oven $16.67

Clean Stove top $10

Damage to oven door $10

Clean cabinets $15

Clean refrigerator $16.67

Repair broken shelves on refrigerator door $10

Clean kitchen floor $10

Clean kitchen chairs and replace cushions $10

Clean shower $10

Clean toilet $6.67

Clean bathroom floor $8.33

To remove junk and debris from inside $58.33

replace broken mini blinds in living room $33.33

Clean Couch $16.67

Broken futon $58.33

Clean Hardwood floor $16.67

Clean Microwave $16.67

Smoke detectors were tampered with and removed from walls $33.33

Replace broke mini blinds in bedroom $75

Each of these items have been split THREE ways when we had four tenants - three permanent and one for the first half, and one for the second half. Note, if you think I'm just being a brat and I should pay these charges... I didn't even have the blinds in my bedroom that shes charging me $75 to replace.

TL:DR I'm being charged a lot upon moving out of a generally clean apartment, some with obviously bogus charges. What recourse do I have, and is she required to substantiate her deductions through receipts or otherwise?

Thanks for any advice, or even just reading my thread.

Note to Mods: If this breaks R5, please send me a PM with the text before deleting so I can repost this in a different sub.



Submitted July 06, 2016 at 04:15AM by justatadfucked http://ift.tt/29lWltn personalfinance

No comments:

Post a Comment