Friday, July 1, 2016

I'm considering switching from Bush's canned pinto beans to buying my own in bulk and soaking them. Any advice? Cooking

I'm mostly interested in saving some cash, reducing the salt a bit, and getting some spices (like paprika and chili) thoroughly soaked into them. Not having to deal with a ton of cans would be nice too.

Are there going to be any significant differences in the texture and flavor I get out of them than what I'm used to with the cans? Is there anything about their manufacturing/preparation process that will result in anything I make tasting radically different from what I'm used to? If so is that just the time they've had to soak in the salty water?

How much variety in flavor is there in bulk pinto bean sources? Are all pinto beans pretty uniform or are they more like grapes with a vast range of regional types? If there are a ton of differences then is there an option that is equivalent to or a step up from canned beans that can still be had at a better price (and if so, what's the market like for them)?

Pinto beans are pretty much my staple food so I'd be going through a lot of them. My current plan is to snag a 2+ gallon box bucket (like the ones for restaurant food supply), fill it up with beans and water, mix in a portioned amount of salt and spices, and then let it soak in the refrigerator while skimming off any scum that washes off them every 24 hours for a few days. Then that should be enough to last me for a while. Good plan? Bad plan? Anything you'd take into account after more experience with them? How long can I expect them to last?



Submitted July 01, 2016 at 12:55PM by Umutuku http://ift.tt/296P4cX Cooking

No comments:

Post a Comment