Thursday, September 1, 2016

Looking for information on botulism while preserving (chiles) in oil. AskCulinary

Hi /r/AskCulinary! So I have way too many ripe Chocolate Habaneros on my plant and I thought I would make some chile oil from them. Reading up a little bit on preserving in oil I found out that botulism bacteria thrives in the non-acidic oxygen free environment of the oil and that the spores can survive prolonged cooking (On Food and Cooking, H. McGee). Suggested techniques involve either sterilizing the oil by heating to 240ºF/116ºC for 30 to 90 minutes, and/or letting the oil infuse in the refrigerator. I would like to make quite a bit of oil, and I would like it to keep for a long time, preferably at room temperature. So I'm looking for some sources on how to do this in a safe way so that I don't risk killing myself. I realize that the kind spores are uncommon but I want to do this the right way.

Questions:

  • I heard somewhere on the internet that botulism bacteria don't grow without water, so using dried chiles would be safe. I also got a tip from a coworker to heat the oil with the fresh chiles in at 90-100 deg C for some time to get rid of all the water in the fruit to make it keep better. Can someone help provide sources that support these techniques (preferably the latter)? Which technique would preserve taste better?

  • Will using the Mcgee sterilizing technique (heating to 240ºF/116ºC for 30 to 90 minutes.) produce off flavors in these types oils (either from the oil or from the chile)?

Any other tips on procedures for infusing (starting off with) fresh chile in oil are very welcomed, but regarding the food safety I'm mainly interested in somewhat credible sources. Also, if you have any tips on good subreddits to x-post for better chance of getting good info that would be welcome as well.

Best regards!

TL;DR: Looking for credible sources regarding best practice on preserving fresh chiles in oil with long shelf-life. Mainly concerned about botulism spores.



Submitted September 01, 2016 at 01:23PM by jhv http://ift.tt/2bFeJ0v AskCulinary

No comments:

Post a Comment