Friday, March 3, 2017

Non-load-bearing wall repair & questions HomeImprovement

I swear if I ever get my hands on the people three PO's ago... Wall between bathroom and kitchen is non-load bearing. It's also a bit weird because part of it is spaced a bit wide so the crapper vent from the toilet can go up through the roof. I am certain it is non-load bearing. Framing is 2x3's, footer/sill plates (on slab) are single 2x3 and top plates are 1x3 furring strips. It also runs parallel and between the ceiling joists, meaning when I'm up in the attic the 1x3 furring strip used as the top plate is just sitting there between the joists.

The wall spans 10' and is 8' high. Everything is 2x3 or 1x3 framing. Part of the wall is double framed, meaning on the bathroom side there is a 10' span wall and then on the kitchen side there is a second ~7' span wall about 1.5" apart from the bathroom wall (so wall to wall is about 6" to accommodate the crapper vent. The kitchen wall only spans 7' and ends with a 2x6, and then ties into the bathroom wall --so on the other side, in the kitchen, the refrigerator hole/spot has an extra few inches to slide back. This is all original 1955 framing.

I take down the drywall in the bathroom to learn that the the wonderful PO installed an extra deep medicine cabinet and two other shelved cabinets.... Only she F'ing used 18" & 30" wide cabinets with 16"OC studs --so she decided to just cut out a few studs and essentially make the medicine cabinet and three other cabinets load bearing (she didn't frame around them like you would do a window, she just cut the studs and slid the cabinets in the wall). Because they were all extra-deep cabinets, she used what looks to be a hammer and chisel to shave down the 2x3's on the kitchen side... to roughly 2x1's... And... Our kitchen cabinets, which have our wedding china in them are hung on that wall.

Taking down the cabinets is not an option. That would mean a whole new kitchen... well at least re-tiling the back splash and a lot more. Not an option. I know I can't just replace the shaved down 2x3 studs because the cabinets would be attached to nothing (or I'd need to remove and re-fasten them).

I'll put up a photo. I know it will help. I plan on sistering the shaved down studs where I can and then framing out the medicine cabinet and two other cabinets like you would a window or door frame. What else can I do? I'm worried about the cabinets falling off the wall.

Thanks.

P.S. Oh... and best part... one of the cabinets was so deep that it wouldn't fit... so she didn't screw in the drywall in the bathroom, she just put the sheets 4' wide 8' tall and angled them out so the cabinet looked flush... I always wondered why the bathroom grout lines were straight on one side but crooked on the other...



Submitted March 04, 2017 at 12:20AM by vmuser123 http://ift.tt/2lEcb4v HomeImprovement

No comments:

Post a Comment