Thursday, March 16, 2017

I'm writing a story from one of those writing prompts. KeepWriting

So I remembered I added a collection of writing prompts from Imgur to my favorites. This was the prompt: http://ift.tt/2mV3B5a

I'm trying my hand at writing a story which I've never really tried before other than for assignments at school. Anyone suggestions on my writing style would be terrific as I could definitely improve as I'm only a sophomore in HS who has no intention on becoming an author.


“You can’t be serious!” I screamed as my heart sank into my stomach. “If you don’t love me for my money, then how come you’re telling me this all of a sudden!” Me and my girlfriend have always gotten into arguments about tons of subjects. Some big and some small. But all of those times we would end it by apologizing to each other and getting over it about 30 minutes later. For that reason, I was shocked when she suddenly decided to break up with me, especially over the phone. “Look Scarlett, I think we should just talk this out in person.” As I finished, she hung up. At that point I assumed she agreed to meeting up. This thought completely went through the window when I got a text from her. I opened the text and read it to myself. I hope you find someone else who is better for you, I’ll stay at your parents’ tonight, I’ll be at your apartment tomorrow for my stuff. I’m sorry John, I’m also taking a different plane home. I broke. I threw my phone at the white apartment wall which left an indent into it. I broke down onto the hardwood floor and started to tear up. I looked over and saw my dog run into the kitchen away from all the noise. I couldn’t handle the pain I was feeling. I rushed into the bedroom and starting ripping Scarlett’s clothes right out of the drawers. Tops, underwear, jeans, everything she owned I threw with a furious rage onto the floor. During my tantrum I knocked a picture of us onto the floor which promptly shattered it. It was a picture of us at her friend’s party. She took it on every trip because it made her happy. I kneeled down and looked through the broken glass and saw how happy we were together. I thought of the moments we shared and how life was so great. This only fueled my anger more which led me to punch the nightstand with my right hand. I regretted it the moment I did it. My knuckles started turning red and my tears kept coming. I wanted the pain to be gone. I got up and slowly walked to the kitchen, clutching at my knuckles which was in more pain than a few moments before. I entered my kitchen, a standard apartment kitchen with a small area for a dining table and a small area for counters, cupboards, and cooking. I stumbled through the kitchen until I reached the refrigerator. I took my hand off my bruised knuckles and grabbed a bottle of new vodka I bought just for me and my girlfriend which I teared up some more as I thought of how I’ll be the only one drinking it tonight. I stumbled over to the dining table and sat myself down. I thought about what had happened that led me to this point in my life. Three years ago I came out of college with a major in computer science. I wanted to be a computer software engineer and that is exactly what I became. After working for small local businesses, designing software and programming for them in Pennsylvania, I eventually decided to take a trip to San Francisco, California for a job interview. My all time dream was to work for Google themselves, the multi billion dollar company. I was a great software engineer and I had multiple references so I believed I had a great chance. The interview went great and a month later I moved to California and began working at Google. Three months afterwards, I met Scarlett at a bar in the area. We hit it off and have been dating until this day. “It can’t be why,” I cried to myself. Being a software engineer at Google pays a significant amount and for our whole relationship I refused to believe it was the money that drove our relationship forward. However, I was really believing that was the reason. Three days earlier I requested for a vacation as I wanted to come back to Pennsylvania with my girlfriend for some family time. It was only yesterday that I got the call from Google. The conversation has still been repeating in my head over and over again. “Hello Mr. Garland,” Said the Google representative with a monotone voice. “I’m sorry to inform you, but we have analyzed your performance over the past quarters and we have come to a conclusion that it is time to let you go.” I jumped, “What do you mean! I’ve been meeting deadlines and being as efficient as I can!” “We do apologize but Mr. Garland, out of everyone in the department you have been the most underperforming according to our statistics. I was speechless. “We will be sending your paycheck to your current address soon, you can come and pick up your belongings left in the office before the month ends, thank you for your service to Google, we hope you have a nice day.” My life was falling apart, I lose my job and now my girlfriend. I took a huge chug of Vodka and continued to cry. I looked over my shoulder to see my dog sitting beside its water bowl begging for water. “At least I still have you,” I said as I took another giant chug of vodka. “You had a long trip, you deserve it.” My dog was a mixed breed and I never knew what breeds he had in him. He was a medium sized brown dog and right now the only thing I really have. I got him 2 years ago at a shelter in California and I care a lot about him. Enough to pay an incredible fee to be transported here with us. I stumbled across the kitchen to the water bowl, at this point getting dizzy. I couldn’t handle much alcohol at once so this was new for me. I fell onto my knees in front of the bowl and started pouring the blurry bottle of liquid in my right hand into the bowl. I lazily got up and walked into the living room. I decided some T.V. might be a good way to take the stress off of me. I slammed myself onto the green and comfy couch and started surfing through the channels. In the kitchen I could hear my dog taking big thirsty gulps. I continued to watch whatever was on which was to me just a blurry image at this point anyway. About fifteen minutes passed and I was about to doze off into a sleep when I realised what I had done. I gained consciousness and looked into my right bruised hand. I freaked out when I realised my dog had been drinking vodka. I jumped out of my couch and saw my dog stagger into the living room. In my drunken state I didn’t know what to do. The first thing I thought was to get my dog actual water so I ran into the kitchen, tripping twice on the way. I was rummaging through the refrigerator when I heard a voice behind me. “What's the rush.” I never twisted my neck so fast it felt like I snapped it. At the kitchen door was my dog barely standing on its four legs. I squinted my eyes and brushed it off as I was still intoxicated. “Slow down man you’re gonna hurt yourself.” My eyes grew 10 times their original size when I saw the mouth of my dog moved to the words I was hearing. I searched through my mind to find an answer to this. I didn’t think being intoxicated caused hallucinations. I sat there, on the hardwood floor, not knowing what to do. “What’s the matter? Cat got your tongue? Heh heh.” Said the dog drunkenly as it passed out onto the floor with a thump.



Submitted March 17, 2017 at 06:00AM by HoodyNinja72 http://ift.tt/2m7vs3u KeepWriting

No comments:

Post a Comment