Friday, March 17, 2017

Just an oddity I recall from childhood. nosleep

In I think around 8th grade, I was working on something late at night. Sitting at the coffee table in the living room, I saw my brother out of the corner of my eye peeking up over the edge of the couch.

At least, that's what I thought it was. I looked, and no one was there.

"Well that's pretty weird, but it could just be a hallucination. I mean, I did eat a couple of coffee beans."

Then, within about five minutes, I saw a shadowy apparition, with a vague face sort of drift across the refrigerator and disappear. It was still vague enough to be a potential hallucination.

And, I would have left it at that, had I not come home the next day to find out that my dad had also experienced something strange. My parents were sitting on the back patio discussing it when I got home from school.

My dad had apparently been waking up my mom, asking which one of the kids that was at the door. We didn't go over to their room at all that night.

Then, my brother walked out. We told him that we were seeing things the night before and he immediately blurted out "yeah, I know!"

I've never experienced such hallucinations before or after this event while fully awake. I would chalk it up to eating the coffee beans, if it weren't for the fact that I've consumed caffeine late at night so many times without a similar experience.

Much less, have my dad and brother experience the same thing.

Nothing else really came of it, but, holy shit it was spooky.

Other things that happened in our relatively new house: lights turning on by themselves. Like, rocker switch lights that are controlled by a spring.

This doesn't end at my house. At my apartment, after I moved out, the same thing happened. I was in my living room meditating (which I do for focus). I use candles to help get my serotonin flowing before bed as well, so I had everything dark. So, I close my eyes, open them again, and, what do I know... My bedroom light has been turned on.

I've been an atheist for a while. I just have a hard time reconciling such a hard line position with it with some of the weird fucking shit I've experienced. There are some other weird events that just make me wonder.

For instance, one day I was trying to communicate with whatever/whomever likes turning on the lights. I was thinking "maybe I can ask them to turn on specific lights as a means of testing it out." So, I started typing, throwing out the small possibility that there might be something to it. And, what happens? I hear a loud crash. A bike helmet fell off of a bike seat. Unstable, very slowly coming off of the bike seat? Sure. After several minutes?

And that's the weird thing. It's like if I do try to entertain the idea and just say "fuck it, I guess I'll try something out, what can it really hurt, it's not like I'm just diving in and believing something for entertaining it" something odd happens. If I ignore whatever it is, it stops, generally speaking.

Another light turning on incident... I had a lamp that a kind of sketchy switch, so I just thought it was that. But, given everything else, I don't know. It was also a spring switch. It had been sitting off all night, no perturbations to actually disturb the mechanism, and if it was in some sort of slowly-creeping-towards-on state, it would have happened much earlier in the night.

Nope. ~5 am, I'm laying in bed, eyes closed, and suddenly it's all bright through my eyelids. The light turned on by itself, right next to me.

I guess this sort of turned into a longwinded rant. As someone who's interested in analytic philosophy, rationalism, etc. I still can't just say "there's nothing to it/it's all easily explained/etc," because that would honestly just make no sense. I think one fundamental difference between me and a lot of other people is that I'm quite okay living in a state of ignorance if it means I'm closer to being correct about what reality actually is.

I'm interested in what is actually going on, and I can tell that over the years I've built up this bias to discredit weird things because there's this sort of guilt-by-association thing going on.

But really, what are the facts? There's some modest correlation between some very strange events in my life and my moments of open-mindedness to attempting communication. It's nonscientific, and coming up with a repeatable, testable hypothesis would be damn near impossible for something like this. And that's before you get to the social difficulties behind it.

Lights turning on by themselves (virtually of them lights with no pattern of erratic behavior with nothing but a simple spring mechanism) has happened enough times that I can predict at least for myself that it will happen at least a few more times over the course of the next several years.

I guess this is continuing with my recent motif of trying to be more honest with myself rather than deferring to the judgements of others out of fear of being judged. Bias is such a tricky thing. It is so pervasive and insidious from all directions. You have to be very, very careful about it.

So, in the end, I've not decided anything about these experiences. I just can't discredit them as superstitious nonsense because there are too many of them and they're just too weird.



Submitted March 17, 2017 at 01:55PM by NoOneLiterally http://ift.tt/2nLGF66 nosleep

No comments:

Post a Comment