Wednesday, April 19, 2017

My '05 FL Sprinter blew its engine...to sell...or fix? vandwellers

I built out my van last summer. It has a 4-panel solar setup, fan installed, USB ports built into the sink, an extra inverter for AC power, a refrigerator, foot-pump sink, propane stove and heat, fully insulated with an extra wall between the front and back...you get the idea. I went pretty all out on it. It's a nicely done van. Not the nicest one I've seen and it's still not 100% done (but is it ever?) but I did a pretty decent job I think...

Now it needs an engine. It blew a head-gasket and leaked coolant into the cylinders. Freightliner dealership called it almost certainly a total engine failure although they didn't check in depth. I didn't have the money for them to go poking around. The van has been kept in otherwise excellent shape and has no other issues other than the engine.

So the question is, any advice on the cheapest way to swap an engine? Or...should I just cut ties on my baby and sell it? I'm up in Vermont so the diesel mechanic situation isn't exactly extensive and it would need a tow. I could probably scrape together $4k total but from what I've seen that's well short of what's needed.

Pics of the build can be found here.

Thanks r/vandwellers!



Submitted April 20, 2017 at 08:45AM by posikris http://ift.tt/2oRpQZ8 vandwellers

No comments:

Post a Comment