Saturday, November 1, 2014

Revisiting the abandoned 18th century farm and meat packaging plant. nosleep


I posted this on an scary things that happened to you type /r/askreddit once, but I think it belongs here. This was my sophomore year in college and it's 100% true.


My college roommates mother grew up on this 18th century farm and meat packaging plant in rural Pennsylvania. The family had recently sold the estate, but due to its historical significance, the house and plant were not able to be torn down, and had been sitting abandoned for the past year and a half. She had always told us stories about this place- about the chilling sensation in the stairwell, how the pets refused to go up to the third floor, how she was terrified of the mentally insane groundskeeper that lived with his daughter on the property, and how the basement, which once served as a bar for Revolutionary War soldiers, still possessed centuries-old bottles.


About a week before Halloween, her and I, as well as two of our male roommates, decided to drive to the countryside to explore this place. We left the city around sundown and reached the town after dark. We didn't know the exact address, so we drove through the farmlands for over an hour until we saw the chained driveway. We parked the car on the street, and began the long walk up the road leading to the estate. After about a half-mile of walking up this isolated road (under the full moon), we reached the old shack of that crazy groundskeeper.


This shack was ransacked. All of the furniture still remained, yet it was clear by the decay of it as well as the trash and household items scattered everywhere, that nobody had been living there for a long time. We went into the kitchen, where we found photos of the man's daughter still on the refrigerator, and even food still inside. It was as if the people living here had just disappeared, leaving all their remains and keepsakes behind.


By the time we left the groundskeeper's shack and continued along the road, my heart was pounding. We debated continuing up the dark road, but the guys insisted, and my roommate and I were too afraid of walking back alone that we followed. The next building we came upon was an old farm shed that had the original plow from the 1700's in front of it, as well as various modern farming equipment inside. We didn't spend much time here, and continued up the road to the house.


I will never forget the chilling sensation I felt when I saw the house up ahead on the hill. The road winds its way up to this enormous three story revolutionary war-era farmhouse, which sits on top of the hill, looking down over the farm. The harvest moon was full, and a light fog had begun to rise along the farmland neighboring the driveway. My mind instantly recalled Shirley Jackson's "The Haunting of Hill House," and my hands were shaking as we continued up the winding road.


After the longest few minutes of my life, we reached the house, and the boys began to search for a way to get inside. At this point, I had been spooked enough by the buildup of arriving to the house, that I wanted nothing more at the moment than to go back to the car. However, I was not about to walk back alone, so I followed the crew as we began to follow the perimeter of the house in search of an entrance. All of the doors were locked, so we attempted to open the basement hatch. We could get it partially lifted, but something had been placed on the other side preventing us from fully opening it. Finally we came across a partially opened window, and the boys were able to open it enough for all of us to fit in. They lifted us up, and then climbed in themselves. The room we entered was the old dining room. There were giant wooden hutches build along the walls, as well as original 18th century floors and archways. The room was covered in dust and cobwebs. I did not feel as if we were alone in that room, and I absolutely hated the fact that my only means of leaving this place was someone else's car that was about almost a mile of dark road away. We began walking through the house, and I knew that the boys wanted to hit the haunted third floor as well as the old basement bar. However, as we began walking into the kitchen, we heard this alarm suddenly go off, and all four of us screamed in response. If the guys weren't scared before, they were now. Not knowing how to react, we all bolted back into the dining room, and scrambled to crawl out the window as we raced back down the road towards the car.


We made it about halfway down the drive when we were stopped by glaring truck lights and highbeams facing us, and blocking our path. We all stood frozen in front of this enormous pick-up truck, unsure of what do. Before we could do anything, we hear a deep voice say "well hi," as two figures walk towards us from behind the truck. Because of the darkness and high-beams, all we could see was their silouhettes walking down the road in our direction. I thought this was the end. I was beyond terrified, and this was almost too much for me to handle, as I kept repeating "oh my god" as they came towards us. As they got closer, the light from the high-beams showed them, revealing two large men in head-to-toe camoflauge with camo face-paint, each holding a cross-bow. My heart was pounding. We were dead silent.


After looking at us for a bit, they greeted us, and told us they had gotten permission from the cops to hunt on the property. They then told us that it was instant jail-time for anyone found trespassing. Luckily for us, my roommate told them about her grandparents who had just moved out, and made up some story about trying to salvage some final memories. They didn't ask us why we were salvaging memories while it was pitch black. They told us about how they could smell cigarette smoke, and had considered walking up to the house to find us (which I'm so glad they didn't because I probably would've had a heart attack). We then thanked them and raced to the car, hopped in, and drove off.







Submitted November 02, 2014 at 01:04AM by Samcrash76 http://ift.tt/1u8zSUS nosleep

No comments:

Post a Comment