Wednesday, December 31, 2014

'No Country for Old Men' - Question on writing style. books


I have been reading this book and it is my first read from Cormac McCarthy. One thing has been bothering me almost to the point of abandoning the book and that is the excessive use of the word "and."


If you've read this book then you'll probably know what I mean. Every third or fourth sentence has around five or six "and's." Here's a non-spoiler example from the page I'm on at the minute:


"He drank and set the half-empty can on the counter and shut the refrigerator door and walked through the diningroom and into the livingroom and sat in an easy chair in the corner and looked out at the street."


This sounds like a sentence an eight-year-old would write and more examples like it are rife all through the book. Did anyone else find this tough to read? It's shattering the immersion for me and I can't see any reason for it. It occurs regardless of which character's POV we are seeing so it's not meant to signify anything like that as far as I can tell.


Are McCarthy's other books written in this style? If they were I'd hesitate to pick up another one even though I've enjoyed 'No Country' outside of this problem. It seems trivial but it's honestly been really irritating when reading this book.







Submitted December 31, 2014 at 09:08PM by King_Kydos http://ift.tt/1wAKAP7 books

No comments:

Post a Comment