Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Need advice in regards to handling a rented apartment and it's move in condition. legaladvice


Hello,


I'm a college student at Ohio State, in Columbus, Ohio.


I moved into my current apartment on Aug. 27th. The conditions of the apartment we're really poor upon move in. Ground level windows are very difficult to open and close and some don't fit the frame properly. The thermostat is hanging from the wall by it's wires and the heat doesn't work. All of the electrical outlets in the apartment are very loose. Plugs fall out with ease all the time, they occasionally spark as well. The lock on the front door is difficult to engage and seems easy to kick in.


Those are the main issues in my mind, along with minor things. Such as cobwebs, dirt and crumbs all over the place. There are holes and dents all over the walls and doors. The refrigerator is missing shelves and the cupboards have broken handles or were sticky and had crumbs in them upon move in. The shower doors are difficult to slide as they are missing the frame to slide in.


I submitted a long list of every grievance after a week of moving in, in order to document the conditions as we moved in so we wouldn't be charged at the end of the lease. At the same time I also submitted a maintenance request for many of these issues. As of nearly a month later, no maintenance has been done and my attempts to contact the landlord during office hours has been ineffective. My calls aren't picked up nor returned when leaving a message.


I'm not familiar with renting law, but I'm curious as to whether there is anything I can do in order to improve the conditions of the apartment for my own safety as well as get the minor things fixed. Am I able to seek anything in regards to the conditions of the apartment at move in? Or am I just in poor luck with a not so great landlord? As far as the major issues and the lack of maintenance am I able to seek anything there besides getting the repairs done asap?


Thank you. Please let me know if clarification is needed.







Submitted October 01, 2014 at 10:44PM by NeedsAdviceOSU http://ift.tt/1v62zOx legaladvice

No comments:

Post a Comment