Thursday, February 26, 2015

Question about bread techniques? Breadit


Hey Breadditors, I had some questions about techniques and need people smarter and with more experience than me to help me out.


Can someone give me an explanation of the pros and cons of different techniques? I've come a long way in my bread making since the days of dissolving yeast in warm water and having a loaf 2 hours later, but I'm still learning the intricacies of making bread. I've gone through the Bread Baker's Apprentice, Tartine Bread, and now I'm on Flour, Water, Salt, Yeast.


I just need help understanding what the reasoning behind different techniques and processes are. For example, in BBA, Reinhart doesn't mind a bulk rise in the fridge overnight, but in FWSY Forkish recommends a much smaller amount of yeast and leaving the dough at room temperature for an overnight rise. He says that it's because most people can't fit a 12qt tub in their refrigerator, but I know there must be different outcomes between the two methods. Also Reinhart uses machine mixing in a lot of his breads, but in more recent recipes I've seen he seems to favor the stretch and fold vs. machine mixing.


Sorry for the ramble, but I'm finding it difficult to put into words what my exact question is. I'm very interested in getting better and better at bread and freeing myself from recipes to experiment more on my own, but I feel like I don't have a good enough understanding to do so yet. Any insight would be appreciated, thanks!







Submitted February 27, 2015 at 01:15AM by tbirdtj http://ift.tt/1zLyCVV Breadit

No comments:

Post a Comment