Tuesday, September 30, 2014

The Year of the Poltergeist (pt. 2) Ghosts


The Year of the Poltergeist (pt. 1)


After the TV was out of the house strange things started to happen, footsteps in unoccupied rooms, things being knocked off of the walls, strange behavior in guests and pets. I'm not one to be afraid of the dark, but I installed nightlights in every hallway. One room in particular seemed to have the most activity, a room that could be considered an attic of sorts, it had a tiny door that opened up into a full size room, it was freshly painted and carpeted, well lit but always had a uneasy feeling overall, even passing the door in the hallway at night was enough to make someone uncomfortable.


Things started to happen in my life that seemed out of my control yet they directly affected me in negative ways, guests in the house would act differently after visiting, my social life began to fall apart out of the blue, I found myself becoming depressed, my job performance was suffering, I wasn't sleeping, I gained weight and started drinking heavily... It was getting ugly fast.


At the height of all the chaos in my life and in my home a friend of mine in another town invited me to visit and get out my space for a while, when I pulled into their driveway I noticed a colonial brick home next door with a sign on the lawn; "Apartment For Rent". The minute I saw that sign I knew it was my sign, I didn't know how, when or why, but I knew I had to move.


The next morning I called the number on the sign and spoke with my future landlord, the apartment was occupied and needed to be cleaned very badly but if I was willing to wait the price was well below my rent budget, everything was included and the owner was willing to wave the security deposit if I didn't mind being patient while the apartment was being prepared. I popped out to take a quick scan of the place, it was indeed in need of a lot of cleaning and tenant removal, but I agreed to the deal offered and signed a year lease on the spot, then headed home to pack.


When I finally dropped into my bed that night I was beyond tired, I had spent the entire day lovingly packing my belongings, feeling better about my life in general, confident a new new-start being exactly what was needed. I was just starting to doze off when I heard something go toppling over and break, I figured my cat had knocked something off the kitchen counter so I went down to inspect, I found nothing out of the ordinary and out of exhaustion I just went to bed without thinking much of it.


The next night I had a friend over, eating oreos and discussing the move when the entire house shook and a loud crash came from the floor below us, it was coming from the kitchen, it sounded like the fridge being knocked over. Being young and a drinker I had a couple dozen various brands of empty liquor bottles arranged on top of my fridge, that night I distinctly heard them crash and break, my ears painted a picture of my fridge being thrown forward onto it's doors and my bottles hitting the ground hard, some bouncing across the floor before smashing, some becoming dust instantly. For a moment I had feared that the refrigerator had gone through the floor into the unoccupied apartment below mine. my friend and I looked at each other in horror before jumping up and racing down the curving staircase to the the kitchen, we expected glass, carnage, possibly even gore, but what we saw was even more shocking than gore more terrifying than that, what we saw was nothing, absolutely nothing. After a quick perimeter check for broken windows/Neighbor-Methlabs/Vandals turning up nothing we returned to our chairs. My friend said "I don't think it wants you to move."


It was that night that I realized this thing wasn't going to let me leave quietly...







Submitted October 01, 2014 at 12:56AM by SpiritualSerin http://ift.tt/1pEqKiR Ghosts

No comments:

Post a Comment