Thursday, August 10, 2017

Lease incorrectly states property description, what can I do to negotiate to make up for the difference without breaking the lease? legaladvice

Hello everyone,

I just moved to California from across the country. It's kind of a rural area so it was difficult to find a place to rent. I went out to look at properties beforehand but all the ones available for show were already rented out by the end of that day while I waited for my application to be approved of and I couldn't afford to travel back to look at more properties before deciding to apply for a place.

My application was approved for a 2 bedroom 1.5 bath, with standard kitchen appliances such as an oven, dishwasher, and refrigerator. I made sure to read the lease thoroughly and it states that the unit fits that description.

After taking possession, it turns out there's no half bathroom nor is there a refrigerator. I think the solution the the refrigerator is easy: they should just provide the fridge like the lease states. This isn't exactly possible with the half bathroom, though.

I really like the place otherwise. I'm disappointed that it's not as advertised nor as described in the lease. I don't want to break the lease, but I don't think I should have to pay full rent for something that was not as described in our contract.

Here are my questions: can I negotiate a decrease in rent for the lack of half bathroom or how can I best handle the situation? This is a property owned by a third party who has the unit run by a local property management company.

Tl;dr: lease says 2 bedroom, 1.5 bath, refrigerator included. Unit only has 2 bedroom, 1 bath, no fridge. What can I do to negotiate to make up for the lack of half bathroom?



Submitted August 11, 2017 at 09:55AM by CGKDTD http://ift.tt/2vUxVCM legaladvice

No comments:

Post a Comment