Monday, May 23, 2016

Landlord says I must submit to pest control inspection and/or treament or pay fine. New rule. Can do they do this? legaladvice

Landlord put a note on my door saying I must clear my stovetop/refrigerator and "put away" pet(s) for a pest control inspection "per your lease" and/or treatment and that I must comply or pay a $50 fine. I'm in Texas and the lease is a boilerplate standard TAA lease. The lease says nothing specifically about pest control. It has a general clause that I must pay for "cost of repairs or service in the apartment community because of a lease or rules violation". However, in the community rules and policies section, it only says they may regulate "(A) the use of patios; (B) the conduct of delivery persons and movers; (C) common areas". It also says they are allowed to enter at "reasonable times" for "reasonable business purposes" but, again, says nothing about me being obligated to board or otherwise put away any pet(s), or move anything around in my kitchen for inspection, or submit to any pest control treatment.

I don't believe it's a violation of either my lease or the rules they're allowed (per the lease) to make to not comply. Can they really fine me for non-compliance here?



Submitted May 24, 2016 at 09:14AM by O_oo_O http://ift.tt/1TThbw4 legaladvice

No comments:

Post a Comment