Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Freezer not working? A check before buying new Frugal

A couple days ago I found a bargain. It was a side by side (french door style) refrigerator in the bargain/used section at Menards for $19. It looked like new and had been well taken care of.

I plugged it in, it got cold. I put a bag of ice in it but by morning it had melted some. I was pretty distraught, but took the ice out and saw there was a vent in the back. The ice bag had been blocking the vent. It now works and freezes water. Problem averted.

So, if your freezer stops working, check the inside vent isn't blocked. Also, there are cooling grills/grates either on the back or bottom of the appliance. The bottom ones are prone to "dust bunny" collection and can be blown out with compressed air (or computer duster in a pinch).

Sometimes it pays to check for some of the simple things. I was ready to take this refrigerator back or dispose it on the curb.



Submitted August 18, 2015 at 07:52PM by boogiemanspud http://ift.tt/1Mw5J9r Frugal

No comments:

Post a Comment