Thursday, June 15, 2017

Beers get maltier/sweeter as they age Homebrewing

I am 7 brews in, and several batches of the middle batches are not aging well, taking on a malty/sweet character that wasn't initially apparent after the bottles carbed up. All of them had FGs in the 1.010-1.014 range and did about 7 days of secondary fermentation after FG had stabilized. 3 of them in particular: a california common ale, a double IPA, and a honey-wheat ale. For all 3 batches, once the beers had carbonation they were stored in a refrigerator and only removed for consumption. I've been looking at off-flavor profiles and I can't find any that sound like what I am tasting.

The latter batches have gone into kegs and those have come much better.

Any ideas on the culprit, or did we just brew bad beer and not discover it until it had time to rest?



Submitted June 15, 2017 at 10:14PM by TheHolyFerret http://ift.tt/2sfH7gc Homebrewing

No comments:

Post a Comment