Hey guys,
Check out my creation. I'd be glad to give any details you wish, extra photos, info, whatever you like.
Album: http://ift.tt/2iGI7Y0
1: http://ift.tt/2j9vu4C (panels)
2: http://ift.tt/2hXUm1u (batteries)
3: http://ift.tt/2j9IV4J (charge controller)
4: http://ift.tt/2hXYkHo (in-line fuse between panels and battery bank)
5: http://ift.tt/2j9xOZm (in-line fuse between inverter and battery bank)
6: http://ift.tt/2hY5ls1 (custom plug for power inverter)
7: http://ift.tt/2j9IcR2 (power inverter)
8: http://ift.tt/2hY1mvy (12-volt cigarette lighter output)
In short, it's a 200 watt solar panel system with four 6-volt golf cart batteries serving as the power bank. I've got a 3000 watt (6000 watt peak) pure sine wave inverter to change the 12-volt DC current to 120-volt AC.
I use it in the summer for camping. A big stereo for partying in the woods, hot plates, rice cooker, an air pump for air mattresses and river tubes, box fans to put in tents for summer camping, water pump for showers, and power tools for remote location projects.
In the winter, I have ran an extension cord into the cab for a 1500 watt electric heater. Really nice in MN when it's -10F. I estimate that I could run the 1500 watt electric heater for about 6-8 hours. Typically it gets ran about 45 minutes to an hour at a time, and the battery banks are fully recharged by the next day.
Extra details:
-I had to add an extra leaf spring to my pickup truck's suspension to make up for the extra weight of the batteries always being in the bed.
-I have everything fused low. For instance, the power inverter is capable of outputting 6000 watts. That comes out to 500 amps@12-volts. I have the power inverter fused in-line@250 amps. I purchased an inverter capable of outputting more power than I planned on using. I don't plan on pushing the system, I'd rather keep it safe and blow a fuse. Yes, I do realize that things like refrigerators will have a very high peak wattage when the compressor surges. But, I'm not running anything like that.
-The 12-volt cigarette lighter output is fused at either 15 or 20 amps, I don't recall. It's -5F outside right now, I didn't feel like digging around too much.
-The system is quite expandable. I believe that the solar charge controller can run four panels total (400 watts). I can fit -exactly- 10 batteries into my current box with about a 1/2 inch of space left.
-The roof rack on my topper is higher than the panels, I can still transport my canoe!
-I didn't have to fabricate anything, not really. Which means that I can easily move this solar system to another vehicle, or perhaps the corner of my garage or in a shed our outbuilding.
Let me know what you think!
Submitted January 06, 2017 at 05:49AM by RedTopSR20 http://ift.tt/2iJWBo8 somethingimade
No comments:
Post a Comment