Monday, July 20, 2015

Window broken in a house. Landlady might ask me to pay for it. legaladvice

NYC here

So, I'm renting a room in a house. No written agreement, month to month, no deposit. This month is my last month and I'm moving out at the end of the month. Today we found out that the window in my room is cracked. I don't know how it happened but it did. For all I know this was cracked before I moved in. also, my room has no lock. So, when I'm gone at work, she can enter my room anytime she wants which I have no problem with but she could have damaged the window herself and not say anything.

She starts bitching about the window. First she said it's $400 then she said it's $600

then she said, she's gonna have to replace ALL windows on my floor because of this. Because if she replaces mine and not the others, it wouldn't look aesthetically right from the street (?).

Now, she doesn't ask me to pay for the window. YET. but she starts bitching about other stuff that's not even my problem. For example the refrigerator. She claims that ever since I moved in, they've been using ice like ever. I always buy a bag of ice every couple of days and when I do, I always ask her or her husband to put the ice in the tray because I don't wanna accidentally damage the tray.

she's sort of blaming me for that, even though the fridge is making ice, but it's not dispensing it. You have to pull out the tray and grab the ice with your hand.

I guess my question is

She has yet to ask me to pay for the window, if she does. Does she have a right to? Can she ask me to pay for ALL windows on my floor?

Right now, I'm thinking to write her a check of $400 and move at the end of the week because I can't stand her. Also, when I moved in I was promised that there would be an air conditioning in my room. 2 weeks ago, the AC is her room broke and she took my portable AC to her room for a week and half leaving me with no AC at all in summer time in NYC. Imagine. My other question is is there any way I could give her like $400 minus $100 due to this incovenience for the window?



Submitted July 21, 2015 at 08:11AM by soep119 http://ift.tt/1Kh8axf legaladvice

No comments:

Post a Comment