Tuesday, August 15, 2017

My Landlord is awful (Boulder, CO) legaladvice

I moved in 3 months ago and my new landlord sucks. We had originally agreed to move in late to allow for renovations to the place, expecting that they would improve upon what was there before. Wrong.

Upon move in there were no smoke alarms, no CO alarms, no appliances were hooked up, no outlets or light switches had covers, the shower had a newly installed clear glass window so the neighbors got a nice show if we decided to shower, and the yard was a jungle (followed by harassing emails about not taking care of the yard). I have since fixed all of these problems on my own with only reimbursement for the CO and smoke alarms (which I had to fight for). I know it was dumb for me to do that stuff myself but I was hoping to get on their good side to ask permission to allow a dog in the apartment.

To this day (3 months later) we still have holes in the floor and walls, exterior door thresholds that have large gaps to the basement on the inside, a basically unusable oven (control knobs have no markings), and the world's loudest (broken) refrigerator. I was able to get my hands on a free working refrigerator from a friend and the landlord refused to cover costs of transportation, She then followed up by saying if I wanted the new fridge I would have to pay for disposal of the old one and leave the new one when my lease is up.

A few smaller things that have happened (apart from being extremely rude) is that she threw out some of my property in the basement (after giving me approval to store stuff there), she and workers have shown up unannounced multiple times, she refuses to change the locks, and she refuses to supply a lock for the shared basement storage area.

At this point I'm fed up. I'm ready to leave but I know she'll fight it and I'll lose more money than I can afford if I break the lease. Do I have any legal recourse? A lot of this stuff seems illegal to me but then again I don't know jack about the law. I've tried looking up landlord tenant laws but they seem vague.



Submitted August 16, 2017 at 03:11AM by MyLandlordSucks12 http://ift.tt/2x2kCMW legaladvice

No comments:

Post a Comment