Thursday, August 20, 2015

Spice Cream. I made Mango Habanero Ice Cream. And it's good. spicy

As with most other things I do, it started with a bad idea and a conversation with my boss. We both have ice cream makers, and we both commented on how we used them a couple times and then they kind of fell by the wayside, tucked in a cupboard above the refrigerator.

Well, then we were having a conversation about mango habanero, and one thing led to another.

I present to you: Spice Cream

one 4oz package of this crap because i didn't realize i was out of white sugar and pure vanilla extract, but i did have this. as far as I can tell, it's 99% sugar with vanilla flavor, and potentially some thickener. if you have sugar and vanilla, you don't need this. Just use a cup of sugar and a tbsp vanilla instead.

one cup brown sugar. sounds weird, right? brown sugar in ice cream? trust me.

1 quart heavy whipping cream. i thought i was going to need more, so I bought whole milk but didn't end up using it. add either that ice cream mix or a cup of white sugar and 1-2tbsp vanilla to the cream.

two mangoes, deskinned and mashed with a potato masher

two habaneros, deseeded and diced as fine as possible dump them in with the mango mash, and add the brown sugar to this. mix. then dump your heavy cream in, mix some more.

dump the whole mess into your handy 2 quart cuisinart ice cream maker. set timer for 25 minutes.

side note: the mangoes can get a bit stringy, so you may want to remove the lid/paddle of the ice cream maker around 15 minutes and scrape the stringy bits off the paddle, or you'll wind up with a possible blowout and ice cream coming out the top, as it tends to make the ice cream build up in front of the paddle.

thoughts on the final result: ok so that's just what wouldn't fit in the bowl i put in the freezer. if you've used an icecream maker before, you probably know this but the end result has the consistency of soft serve as seen in the photo. if you want more of a "scoopable" ice cream, throw it in a freezer-safe airtight container and toss it in the freezer.

I think next time I'll probably add more habaneros. Two in about two quarts is enough to give a noticeable peppery kick in your throat. I might recommend three or four habs or maybe two hotter peppers, depending on how much diced pepper flesh you want in your ice cream.

I think the amount of mango is about right. It's definitely mango ice cream, without doubt. And it's delicious enough that it's not going to be in there long enough to get freezer burn!

Note if you do not have an ice cream maker: You don't need one. Starting at the step where I dumped everything in the ice cream maker, just dump it into a big cake pan. the bigger the better, because you want a thin sheet of ice cream. it freezes faster, and it's easier to do the next step: after it's frozen, chip it all out and either dump it in a zip lock bag and mash it up or run it through your food processor. you get the idea.



Submitted August 20, 2015 at 03:22PM by banjaxe http://ift.tt/1K7XHmG spicy

No comments:

Post a Comment