Saturday, March 21, 2015

If civilization has peaked, shouldn't we at least celebrate at the top? collapse


I feel like we should put a flag in the top of prosperity mountain.


I get that collectively, we're all responsible for potentially screwing up the planet. But if that's true, then we're also collectively responsible for everything good that's happened.


It took billions of years for our solar system and life on our planet to evolve to where it is today. Even a couple hundred years ago people were living without electricity, refrigerators, etc., etc.. Now we can sit at our desk and look at pictures of the surface of Mars. It seems strange that people whose lives just happen to overlap the peak of it all are sad because it may not last forever.


I imagine if the people who lived in the past and went through the plague, civil war, slavery, etc. could look down from the heavens and see us complaining about student debt levels or that kind of thing.


If you think things are always going to get better, it makes you long for the future. By the same logic, if you think things will get worse, shouldn't you think today is the best day ever.


Everything dies. Pets, people, planets and stars. Even if you do everything right and live the perfect life, the worst thing that could happen to you, will (dying).


I know everyone's personal situation is different and people that lost their houses and jobs in 2008 may have a hard time being happy now.


I've already decided to spend the rest of my life working toward becoming more resilient against an economic downturn and to keep my eye on the risks out there. After doing that for a few years though, I think I'm going to spend more of my time trying to enjoy what we've got (in a frugal and responsible way).







Submitted March 22, 2015 at 01:55AM by haole1 http://ift.tt/1AXJn83 collapse

No comments:

Post a Comment