Sunday, March 15, 2015

"Magnetic hotspots. Like on Lost." talesfromtechsupport


So, I hoped this would be a short one compared to my recent posts, but it's not...


A few years ago, some of the printers I was working with had an error that would be affected by the weather. Basically it was triggered when it got a sharp change in temperature, and was usually something a tech could permanently fix. Having said that, it meant that at certain points in the year it would crop up more, and usually in certain parts of the country first. It did mean that we had a bit of warning when we were about to get into that time of the year again, but it also meant that for fun I started tracking these on a map, and we could see a continuing pattern.


One day, one of the good sales reps comes by. He usually tries to be as friendly as possibly, and is able to do some basic tech stuff as well, so it's not uncommon for him to try to get quick fixes from us so that he can let stores know, and generally make everyone's life easier. He's usually good to have a joke with as well. While he's talking to us, he mentions the error, and asks if there is anymore news on what causes it. At this point in my career, Lost was pretty popular. So the answer he got was...


"Yes. Magnetic hotspots. They can slowly warp the chassis of the machine, misaligning things, and causing this error." He seems a bit confused, and my coworkers are basically ignoring us, so I seem to be getting away with this. "Magnetic hotspots?" He clarifies. "Yes. Magnetic hotspots. Like on Lost. They are just beefed up on the show, but they work the same way." He nods at this, as if given sage advice (I rarely ever give this, but for some reason, people trusted I would dispense wisdom to them), and I show him the map to back up my claim. "How does a tech fix it?" I reach into my desk and pull out some plastic parts that are used for the fix, "These are supports. They strengthen the chassis to stop it happening. The tech can install them." "And they're made of plastic so they aren't magnetic!" At this point I am sure he's going to realise I'm making this up at any point. I kind of thought he was already onto me and just playing on. "Yeah. Plastic is the natural enemy of magnetism. If anyone gets the issue, just pass them through to us."


He drops the point, and I figure he realises I don't know anymore than the last time he asked me about this. We chat about some other things, and go about our day. The topic does not come up again. I figure he is on to my nonsense ways, and forget the matter. The next week, I am emailing one of our distributors regarding some old cases, and before he ends an email, I get a final line: "By the way, why does Sales Rep think natural magnets are causing this error message we've seen?" I have a laugh, and reply back, telling him what happened. He has a laugh as well, and I agree to tell Sales Rep what's going on. I get a call straight away at my desk from the distributor. He's giggling, and tells me to wait till after lunch. He wants to join in the fun.


I return from lunch and find an email with a photo attachment from the distributor: "Dear Sales Rep, All machines in warehouse showing signs of magnetic hotspots. Requesting immediate return and refund of all machines."


Attached is a picture of a machine box with a few refrigerator magnets stuck to it. I decide it's time to face the music, and head over to Sales Rep's desk. But... He's not there... I turn around and see him standing in my manager's office. The moment I lock onto the office, I'm given the 'get in here now' signal from my manager.


I enter my manager's office, and I get a level stare: "Magnetic hotspots?" Well, in for a penny, in for a pound... "Yeah. And they are getting stronger. I think there are even some in this office. I think right now if you dropped something in the sales area they wouldn't pick it up." Manager starts to laugh, and Sales Rep gives me a "Why do I trust you?" look. Manager reiterates to Sales Rep not to trust me if I'm smiling, and once we've figured out it was only one person he told, and he hasn't mailed this out to his contacts or something like that, I'm told I'm the one that should reply. This is now officially a Technical Issue. I return to my desk and send out the email, something along the lines of:


"Dear Distributor, Sales and Technical have decided this is an environmental factor, and therefore damage caused in the warehouse, which we will not cover. Suggest moving warehouse to resolve issue."







Submitted March 15, 2015 at 04:39PM by Turelio http://ift.tt/1BHxXsO talesfromtechsupport

No comments:

Post a Comment