Greetings,
I am a graduating high school senior that will most likely enroll at UT Austin as an ECE major, with CS as my second major of choice; it seemed like an opportunistic idea and idealistic move, and appealed to me greatly because interacting with the computer has basically been a thing I've done my whole life. More specifically, I want to become a Computer Software Engineer in order to deploy code in my future projects, works, and jobs. That's the problem though too... does this major even incorporate coding? And if so, is there heavy emphasis on it?
I have started thinking greatly about my choice (funny how I should've been doing this earlier), and I am not really sure about the differences between CE and CS. I mean I wanted to make sure coding and programming would be a repertoire of mine, but from what I've seen on the 4-year curriculum for undergraduate ECE majors at UT Austin is that programming courses are not even in the course choice. Moreover, CS at UT Austin is in the Natural Science college while ECE is in the Engineering college, so it seems there is a sizable partition between the two. I chose ECE because I read Engineering at UT Austin is in the top 10 in the nation, but I also read that a lot of the big fish out there are CS majors and not ECE majors, so I'm starting to regret my decision.
I want to be working on/with strictly computers and laptops, not toying with microwaves and refrigerators. I was never a fan of robotics either, but I can't judge a book by its cover. Gaming is my forte, so I aspire to working on stuff like that or at least application software.
On a side note, a lot of my friends - who are CS advocates - sort of slander CE because "companies want kids that can write code" and that you have more opportunities of landing a job with the big companies like IBM, Intel, Apple, Google, etcc if you're a CS major as opposed to a ECE major. I mean we're just kids, so I kindly ask for corrections and assurances!
Thanks!!
Submitted March 12, 2015 at 02:05PM by ejayshun http://ift.tt/1NNDXWi ECE
No comments:
Post a Comment