Thursday, February 19, 2015

Wife is projecting onto me and its throwing me off my game AskMen


I tried to ask this in /r/relationships but after being hit with a bunch of red tape decided to post here instead.


My wife is great, we have a good marriage, but she does this thing where she projects emotions onto me and its kind-of annoying. If we're out someplace, and I drop something or say I stub my finger, any reaction from me besides zen peacefulness is met with her saying, "Stop freaking out!" or "Geez, don't get so stressed!"


I genuinely know people who freak out about every little thing and I am far, far, far from that. If anything I am too laid-back and laissez faire. Regardless, if I let out an exasperated sigh or curse under my breath when something falls out of the refrigerator, my wife is reacting to me like I'm Bruce Banner about to hulk out. Because I feel like it needs to be said, I've never laid a hand on her and she's never been the victim of any sort of abuse.


For the most part I can let this go, but when we're in mixed company and people are telling stories or just sharing conversation, she sometimes throws out the fact that I'm "short-fused" even when it doesn't directly fit into the conversation. Its very peculiar. Its almost like she's trying to paint me as a mentally fragile person, but the facade is very ill-fitting so people usually just giggle and move on to the next topic.


It really wouldn't bother me except for the fact that mental illness runs in my family and there are people in my family like that. I have worked really hard to make sure that I don't develop the same temperament, but its hard to maintain when she acts this way.


Is this something anyone else here has experienced?







Submitted February 19, 2015 at 08:57PM by sphere51185 http://ift.tt/1AX2mmW AskMen

No comments:

Post a Comment