Thursday, February 19, 2015

Critique My Electricity Setup Design vandwellers


I've spent a few days debating whether or not I even need electricity in the van and have decided that, since I will be living in it full time, I would like the ability to charge electronics, run a fan, turn on interior lights and make hot water for tea. I don't watch tv or play video games and I don't expect to use a refrigerator.


Here are my plans with the amazon links starting at the starter battery and moving back:



  1. I will be using 2 gauge cables because my battery will be located in the back of the van and I want to minimize voltage drop. I will crimp on ring terminals to the ends and use heat shrink to weatherproof it. I will run dual post battery terminals on the starter battery. The cables will run inside a 1/2" liquid tight conduit.


http://ift.tt/1AoHuTU


http://ift.tt/1ALEdkL


http://ift.tt/1AoHwuR



  1. Within 6 inches of the positive power terminal on the starter battery I will connect to a 100 Amp fuse. On the other end I will install an on/off battery switch. I understand this to be better than an isolator because it doesn't cause any voltage drop. I will just have to remember to turn it on and off. Side note: does anyone have experience with "Automatic Charging Relays"?


http://ift.tt/1AoHwuT


http://ift.tt/1ALEgwS



  1. The battery cables will hook up to a 12V Trojan AGM battery. These are sealed batteries so I shouldn't have to worry about venting it but I i will put it in a battery box. I want to install a battery monitor as well.


http://ift.tt/1AoHuTZ


http://ift.tt/1ALEdkT



  1. I will continue the 2 gauge wire into a 750W Inverter/Charger with a 100 Amp Breaker in between. This will allow me to isolate the inverter to keep it from pulling a phantom load. The inverter allows me to run 120V appliances. When I have access to shore power I can plug right into my inverter and it will charge the battery.


http://ift.tt/1AoHwuV


http://ift.tt/1AoHvad


Let me know what you think could be improved or if there is an entirely different way I could get my needs met. Thanks.







Submitted February 19, 2015 at 10:06PM by disorderly http://ift.tt/1ALEdBc vandwellers

No comments:

Post a Comment