I have a question/dilemma, but let me give a little background: I am a CNA I have worked in drs. offices and I've worked for agencies caring for elderly people.
I left the agency and I currently work for an older gentleman with two other people. It's a 24/7 shift. I work three days. Not consecutively. One of the coworkers I know, Myrna (40F) from working with her at the agency. She's very efficient and I've become a better employee learning from her. The other coworker, Lori, has experience from being with her mom for years, then the mom passed. Then with her sister who had a brain tumor.
Now my question/dilemma: I got this job via word of mouth in a small town. My clients niece-by- marriage hired me. Clients nephew is only relative within 500 miles. They are nice enough people but are absolutely clueless when it comes to management. As with any job, it takes time to get a routine and some semblance of what and how to do things.
Every time I leave my shift, I leave the house clean for the next person. Dishes done and put away, laundry done, trash and recycling taken out, vacuum, dust, bathrooms cleaned as needed. Shopping done. Client is fed, clean and comfortable. Myrna does the same thing. Lori does not. She is a slob. She leaves dishes, half-filled coffee mugs everywhere. Newspaper (delivered to clients house) strewn about, counters not wiped, trash not taken out. Every. Single. Time. She has commented on how nice Myrna and I leave the house, she just doesn't reciprocate. There's other things that bug me about her, but the issue is the job.
Lori has a boyfriend, he lives out of state. She visits him. He recently had major surgery. They both moved back here. He is a selfish, controlling jerk. She is so stressed out, her work ethic is much worse than before. Clients clothes he was wearing were covered in dried food, he is not being cleaned, she forgot to take him to the doctor and she was aware of it (on the calender, hard to miss). She's on the computer a lot (it's her laptop). I see other things being neglected. Notes are two sentences long (for a 24 hour shift - no). I did talk to her, )she is REALLY hard to talk to because she dominates the "conversation" and changes the subject at least three times) but it doesn't help. So, I made a checklist. Things to get done before the shift change. She did well. For two shifts.
I'm ready to just tell her that she needs to leave. Her actions are unacceptable.
I don't have that right. I honestly don't know who does. The nephew and wife had a gal working here before us. This lady used clients money for personal use, drank on the job and left client alone frequently. It took them nearly a year to finally let her go. Client still talks about her bs over a year later.
Something HAS to be said. And I'm the one stuck doing it. I don't know how to do this. I keep having the dialogue in my head, but I'm mean. She won't change. It won't get better. She works two days a week, if she could work one day and Myrna come in after her shift, I would be ok with that. I mean, short of completely taking her off the schedule. I'm tired of doing her work. We get paid the same. A few more things:
-I'm the only one who gives our client a shower. The other two just stopped trying. No conversation was had. Just assumptions. I don't mind showering him. We have a good routine.
-Lori never goes grocery shopping. I started my shift once with an empty refrigerator.
-they both smoke and are frequently in the back yard, smoking, talking on the phone. Leaving our client alone for long periods of time (heavy smokers).
-when I first started, it was an hourly gig. Not 24 hours. When they changed it to 24, they lowered our pay. After getting them to agree to a small increase, not the one we asked for, I called and was upset - I felt I was being taken advantage of. Come to find out a little later, that they wanted to let me go. Lori stuck up for me and I appreciated that (she's nice, just a flake and airhead) It still lingers that they let a thieving alcoholic stay a year too long, but we're ready to give me the boot over $25 a day.
-I don't want to leave. I adore our client. I don't like working for doctors or agencies. I'm good at what I do.
How do I tell Lori, without her going to the niece (they're kind of close), that her work ethic is unacceptable and I think she she should only work one day a week so the client isn't neglected because she's doing personal stuff here and dealing with her boyfriend? I could tell her to take her computer home, but the niece has one here for our use (it's a POS).
Also, Lori was hired a couple months before me. She kinda has seniority. :/
This has been bugging me for over ten months. I've let it go so as not to cause issues. Since she got back last month with her boyfriend, it's a lot worse. I don't want to be let go because of the past and the personal relationship with Lori and the niece.
Ok. Right before I was going to submit this, Lori came in for her shift with her cat because her boyfriend hates cats. Apparently no one gives a shit that this is someone else's house. The ($&/!) niece told her it was ok to bring the cat. The niece doesn't live here nor does she work here.
I really hate people.
tl;dr: Coworker is a clueless woman, neglecting 93 YO man we care for and can't be taught new tricks. She's friends with clients family and I feel if I say anything, it won't help.
Submitted January 15, 2015 at 11:38AM by Ihatethatrabbit http://ift.tt/1x3IN6K relationships
No comments:
Post a Comment